Look to “Jabberwocky” as a start

Previously, I have written about my interest in words and how the dictionary adds new ones over time. If you like to write, perhaps you are a fan of old words, how they came about, and what they meant. Personally, in this day of woke-isms, preferred pronouns, etc., I find it refreshing to escape into the past and explore the antiquated collection of words that were once common in the English language.

  • blutterbunged: surprised, confounded
  • flonker: something that is extremely large
  • grammar-folk: educated people
  • grimbribber: a lawyer, legal jargon
  • miscomfrumple: to crease or rumple, as in rumpling another’s dress by sitting too close
  • mundivagant: someone wandering through the world
  • pig-puzzle: a gate designed to swing both ways to meet a post
  • quanked: overly fatigued
  • scuggery: hidden, a state of concealment
  • slister: to be lazy, to while away time
  • transcribbler: someone who transcribes carelessly
  • wordify: to put into words

You’ll find a ton of old and interesting words in The Word Museum by Jeffrey Kacirk. But start reading early or you’ll probably be late for your evening bouffage (satisfying meal).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s